Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Home: Smells Like Really Loud Tempura

To say that it's been a busy week would be an understatement. It's been a back breaking, bone aching, exhausting, fall into bed at night and sleep through anything week. Well, almost anything, but I'll get to that later.

This past week was moving week. We've been assembling furniture, unpacking boxes and basically playing real life Tetris trying to fit our belongings into this small, but happy space. It's a challenge that's required several trips to Ace Hardware, another IKEA run (and another subsequent round of Big Buck Hunter), my longest Target excursion ever (which if you know my proclivity for wandering the aisles of Target aimlessly while talking on my cell phone, is pretty mind boggling - and yes, I know that I just described the most irritating person in the world, but because I always hang up before I get to the checkout I have deemed it completely acceptable). Where was I? Oh yes, it's been a challenge, to say the least, with each day bringing another, usually purchased, storage solution. I am currently sitting in a newly assembled and incredibly comfortable chair with all of the problem boxes to my left, a glass of wine on my right and Golden Girls in HD in front of me. I now know firsthand that everything is not better in high definition.

I am tempted to drape a decorative throw over the problem boxes and call it a daybed so I no longer have to stare at them for several minutes before ultimately walking away while thinking one of the following:

1. Did I just dump the junk drawer into this box? Wow, that was lazy of me. I don't want to start a new junk drawer. Get this started right! Stay organized! Although, I could fit all of this in that empty drawer in the night stand...

2. Ooh cool! Games! Oh right, most of these are for 3 or more players and I only know one other person. Why did I bring so many damn games? (One particular time that this thought was looping through my head I read the words "Ages 8 to Adult", which led me to wonder what it would be like to play UPWORDS with an 8 year old and if I would go easy on him. I decided I wouldn't because the rules are the same for Ages 8 to Adult and there is no special addendum about using the game as a tool to build self esteem. Don't worry, I already know there is something wrong with me).

3. Is this just a box of wrinkly printer paper? We don't even have a printer. What the hell!?!

So you can see I've hit a bit of wall in the unpacking process, but other than the unsightly daybed, the apartment is coming together nicely. We spent our first night here Saturday after a very long day of unpacking and trying not to snip at each other. We were soooo looking forward to sleeping on our divine new mattress and this is the point where I tell you about when we fell into bed and almost slept through anything. Anything would be the loudest music I have ever heard outside of a club or a concert. I am a light sleeper so normally this would have made me irate, but I was so groggy, I kept drifting in an out of it all the while wondering what the source of the music was. It went something like this:

Sleeping...Wow, that's loud, I wonder if it's a street performer....Sleeping....Too loud for a street performer...unless they have an amp...Sleeping...Our windows are closed, but it sounds so close, is it coming from downstairs?...Sleeping...There's no way someones stereo could be that loud....Sleeping...Maybe they are having a jam session?...Sleeping...What if it's like this every weekend? Is it coming from a club?....Sleeping...I should go find my earplugs...Rummaging around at 2:30am...Found 'em!...This song is actually really pretty, this must be live...Sleeping...Wait, now they are playing the Gambler and it's definitely Kenny Rogers singing, so it can't be live...But that would be so cool if it really was Kenny Rogers...Sleeping.

Mike and I woke up the next morning and just looked at each other like "That sucked, but we better get used to it". Luckily, we later found out that there was some sort of concert going on at Washington Square Park and the stage was pretty much facing our window. Still, there are definitely things to get used to living where we do. On the weekends, the sidewalks of Greenwich Village are perpetually mobbed with people looking to eat, drink, dance and shop. It's pretty amazing to be so close to all the action and to have literally anything you can imagine at your finger tips. The dining and drinking options are endless. There are great vintage shops and record stores. Colorful flower stands and street vendors are set up on every block. There are even two stores dedicated entirely to chess around the corner from us. I don't know why and I don't really get it, but it's unique. (Or is it truly unique if there are two on one street? By definition unique means one-of-a-kind, without equal, so I guess I misused the word. Unless we are talking about the uniqueness of there being two chess shops on one street. How often does that really happen? I stand by my word choice, it is unique.) I digress. On the ground floor of our building I can turn left and get Indian takeout or crepes and if I turn right I can walk right into a great sushi spot. Although I do occasionally get a whiff of tempura in our bathroom, which is a little off putting. I am guessing we share a vent. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

I've also taken a stab at some decorative improvements to our otherwise bland assembly required furniture. I thought it would be cool to glue a pretty paper to the back wall of our bookcase headboard to add some color (decoupage for the crafties out there). I loved the result so much that I ended up giving a similar treatment to a large shelving unit that we turned into a pantry in the kitchen. And if that weren't enough I papered some hideous plastic storage drawers so they would be presentable on the top of our fridge. When Mike arrived home from work last night and saw them he commented that he wouldn't be surprised that if the next time he walked through the door I stepped out of the wall wearing a decoupage suit to match the wall like that Target commercial with the Black Eyed Peas. I am tempted to do it just to avoid unpacking the problem boxes.

I'll post pics as soon as I locate our camera in this mess. Until then think positive, successful, un-clumsy, no nervous sweating thoughts for me - I start school Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment