Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What Does This Have To Do With Anything?



While I don't have any earth shattering news this week, I am determined get back to regular posts and avoid having to write another apologetic "where has the time gone?" entry. (See February - July). I actually have plenty to share, but if I write about the new job I have to get it approved by my editors to make sure I am not giving away any industry secrets I suppose. So I guess I will just say that so far it's been fantastic and that the magazine is aptly named because there is an abundance of both food and wine for the taking. I'm hoping I'll be able to report back at this time next week that I have a second very exciting part-time job cooking and am finally employed full-time (goodbye empty pockets!), but if I don't bring it up, just pretend like I never mentioned it because that will mean that I didn't get the job and I won't feel like explaining.

In other news, over the past several months, I've been volunteering at Edible Magazine events with my Wanna Spoon partner in crime, Linda Lou (you may also know her as A La Grecque). Here's Linda at the Brooklyn Uncorked event in May that featured Brooklyn chefs and Long Island wines.



Edible magazine is a fantastic local publication that focuses on well, everything that is edible and local. You probably have an edition in your city or region and I highly recommend checking it out. They feature lots of interesting people and places that are worth getting to know. Plus they put on and sponsor fun local food events. A few weeks ago, Mike and I volunteered at Meatopia, a BBQ and beer event held on Governor's Island featuring 25 chefs doing their take on natures gift to us: dead animals. We spent the day handing out copies of the mag and eating a ton of meat and drinking local beer from Sixpoint Brewery. It's a great way to attend cool events for free (it's the cheapskate in me) and meet great people who like to eat and drink. Here's me at Meatopia:



Tonight we (Mike, me and our adopted Greek baby, Linda Lou) are attending Good Beer at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. It's 22 chefs cooking 22 dishes to pair with 22 beers. This time we are attending, not volunteering because they throw you a freebie every now and then for helping out. I am very much looking forward to it. I don't think I was always this way and I'm pretty sure it's because Manhattan is a money pit, (Side Note: Remember that movie with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long? For some reason, as a 9 year old that movie really spoke to me and I watched it every single time it came on TV. It probably had something to do with the scene where the bathtub crashes through the floor, but whatever, I loved that movie), anyway, I was saying, I get so excited about getting free stuff now. It's almost like "HA! You can take 40% of our income for rent, and charge me twice as much for eggs, and force me to spend $8 on a single load of laundry that I have to carry down three flights of stairs and around the corner to the laundromat, but guess what city, I win this time!".

So in addition to be cranky with strangers, I am now cheap. Maybe when I turned 33, my brain got confused and thought I was 83 and I am now an old woman trapped in a young woman's body. Kind of like Freaky Friday, but the version with Jodie Foster, not Lindsay Lohan. Or EVEN better Like Father, Like Son, which is the male version of Freaky Friday with Kirk Cameron (sound of 4th grade me sighing) and Dudley Moore (crickets). In this case, I am not actually switching bodies with anyone, just slowly going crazy, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment